Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The slogan of an empty life

At least once a day I hear someone say something like, "I wish I would manage my time better."

What does managing your time better even mean? Time isn't a baseball team, or a stock portfolio, or even a small business.

What people usually mean is that they want to be more productive in their day. They want to do more in less time.

Productivity. Efficiency. Proficiency. The slogan of an empty life.

How come the success of a day is measured by what is accomplished?

I don't get it.

There are lots of days when I get a lot done, but I wouldn't say these are my best. And if I could manage anything better, it surely wouldn't be time. I would rather deal with friends, life, health, or even family. But not time.

Wake up. Work. Work. Work. Do more. Do more. Do more.

And repeat.

Life isn't a contest. It's not about doing the most, being the best or the most efficient. It's not a prize you can hang on your wall at the end of the day. If anything, most people need to do less throughout the day. Or at least do it slower.

Remember: Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat.

If anything, I want to be the happiest. To enjoy the sunset more than anyone else. To love the little things the most. To have the best friends, memories and experiences. I want to be the best friend I can. The best son. The best person. When people think of me, I don't want them to think of how much I do and how fast, but how I do it.

I refuse to believe that a day's success depends more on the hours I spend in front of a computer than under the sun or with a good friend. Or that happiness is doing the same shit I will do tomorrow quicker than I did yesterday.

I'm perfectly content not managing my time well. Sure, my homework doesn't always get done. I don't pass all my tests. And I'm not always on time. But I'll guarantee that I get more satisfaction and happiness from wasting time than others get from managing it.

Productivity. Efficiency. Proficiency.

The slogan of an empty life.

No comments:

Post a Comment